Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permits
Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permits are granted to individuals who are residents of Ottawa County and proceed through the proper application process. The permit is granted only after an extensive background check is made, fingerprints are checked and the applicant is evaluated by the Gun Board. The County Clerk serves as the Clerk of the Concealed Weapons Board (Gun Board). It is the Clerk's responsibility to file the application, receive information on the applicants and present the information to the Concealed Weapons Board, as well as keep the meeting minutes. Once the application is processed through the Gun Board and the applicant has been approved, the new applicants will receive their permits immediately and the renewal applicants will be mailed their permits. If an applicant is denied a Notice of Denial and Right to Appeal form will be mailed to the individual.
Applying for a Concealed Weapon Permit
Applications can be printed from this link: Application Packet. Firearms laws can be read or printed from this link: Michigan Firearms Law. Application packets and CDs of the Firearms Laws may also be obtained from the County Clerk's Office or Sheriff's Office.
The following items are required at the County Clerk’s Office:
- Valid Picture ID with current address (Michigan Drivers License or Michigan ID Card)
- For New Applicants - Course Completion Certificate
- For Renewals - Review of Gun Laws (3 hours), completion of 1 hour of range practice, and your previous Concealed Pistol License.
- One Passport Photo - Photos can now be taken at the Clerk's Office on Office Fillmore Street location only, for a fee of $10.00. If you choose to provide your own, photographs must be 2" X 2". The face size, measured from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head (including hair), should be between 1 and 1 3/8 inches, against a white background, on high-quality photo paper. .
- Completed Application - DO NOT sign and date the bottom of the Concealed Pistol License Application until you present your application to a representative of the County Clerk's Office. For renewals, your signature in the center of the application verifies that you have completed the requirements to renew.
- Application Fee: $105.00 made payable to: OTTAWA COUNTY CLERK (cash/check/credit card/money order/cashier's check)
The following items are required at the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office for fingerprinting:
Please note the hours for fingerprinting are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. No appointment necessary
- Valid Picture ID with current address (Michigan Driver's License or Michigan ID Card)
- Receipt from the County Clerk’s Office
- CCW License (if renewing)
Renewal applicants who were issued their current CCW on or after January 1, 2006 do not need to be fingerprinted.
The Sheriff's Department will then send the completed fingerprints for processing. When the required paperwork has been received in the Clerk's Office (Fingerprint check, Criminal History check, and Probate Court check, with this process taking 6 to 8 weeks), new applicants will be sent a postcard or receive a phone call informing them of their appointment time and date to appear before the Gun Board.
Renewal applications are reviewed by the Gun Board. Renewal applicants are not required to appear before the board unless they are coming from outside of Ottawa County or are requested to do so by the Gun Board.
The Gun Board meets on the first Thursday of each month, during normal business hours.
Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 296
West Olive, MI 49460
FAX: (616) 994-4538
8:00am - 5:00pm*
Other LocationsGrand Haven
414 Washington Ave, Rm 320
Grand Haven, MI 49417
Phone: (616) 846-8310
Fax: (616) 846-8138
Fax Filing: (616) 846-8147
Monday - Friday:
8am-12pm & 1pm-5pm*
12251 James Street
Holland, MI 49424
Phone: (616) 494-5566
Fax: (616) 494-5495
Monday - Friday:
8am-11:30am & 12:30-5pm*
3100 Port Sheldon Road
Hudsonville, MI 49426
Phone: (616) 662-6085